SANJEL ENERGY REDUCES THE COST OF LATERAL PRODUCTION CEMENT FOR THE EAST DUVERNAY BY 25 PERCENT
As the Duvernay Play experiences a steady rise in activity, Sanjel Energy continues to improve cement technologies to better align with multi-pad drilling operations. The Duvernay’s unconventional shale formations may mean larger annuli requiring higher cement tonnages and spacer volumes. In some areas, a narrow pressure envelope between fracturing gradient and formation pore pressure demands sophisticated cementing solutions and precise control. Additionally, lateral wellbores require exceptional annular isolation for successful fracturing. The upper formations above the Duvernay require attention as well, achieving returns to surface present specific challenges in shallow, unconsolidated formations and some upper zones are prone to gas migration.
Sanjel Energy’s capability to mix on-the-fly with a weighted spacer is ideal for high spacer volumes. Mix on-the-fly also means no batch time and reduced lifting and chemical hazard exposure. Optimized cement blends tailored to lateral shale wells reduce costs versus traditional tail cements. Flexible low permeability lead cements also reduce the possibility of vent flows originating from shallow formations.
Additional capabilities include:
- Sophisticated simulation software improves drilling fluid displacement efficiency and equivalent circulating density (ECD) pressure management
- Low rheology blends reduce ECD pressures at higher pumping rates to remain under fracturing gradient
- Standardized twin pumping equipment is easily configured to be used alone or in pairs
- Pressurized mega silos can store up to 100 tonnes of cement ensuring consistent bulk delivery
- Low density surface cement ensures returns without increasing wait on cement times in large Duvernay surface holes
- Consistent returns to surface
- Reduced time on location
- Excellent fracturing initiation and isolation
- Sanjel Energy reduced the cost of production cement operation in East Duvernay by 25 percent